Life in the UK

If you are new to the country or if you have moved here from elsewhere in the UK, it can be somewhat overwhelming. The following questions and worries I get from many parents and in particular from those who are brand new to the UK.

Some of these questions also relate to those who are already settled and find themselves going through a difficult life situation (like divorce or separation):

  • Do I need to register with a GP?
  • How does the healthcare system work?
  • What are the emergency numbers?
  • How does the educational system work?
  • How can I understand British culture better?
  • My partner is physically hurting me, but I am scared that our children will be taken away if I report it.
  • How does it work if I find myself wanting to separate or divorce from my partner?
  • I am having issues with my landlord and am not sure where to turn to.
  • Now that we have children, we need to organise a will, but we are from different countries so we are not sure what to do or how to do it.
  • I would like to set up my own business, but am unsure as to where to start.
  • I am pregnant and have no idea how the antenatal services work here.

There are of course many more questions, but those are some that I come across fairly often.

I can help advise you by putting you in touch with experts that are known to me personally, so please don’t hesitate to be in touch on and I will do my best to help you.

Healtcare & Emergency Numbers


Emergency numbers: 112, 999

Non-Emergency numbers: 101, 0300 123 1212

Yes, you do need to register with a GP even if you have private health insurance. Please click HERE to take you to the page with links to GP surgeries and other local hospitals, dentists and much more.

If you are pregnant and would like to understand what the first steps are, please click HERE to take you to the page on pregnancy and ante-natal services.

One of my mums organises talks on how the British healthcare system works. If you would like to know more, please email me on and I will provide more details.

Legal & Accounting

Magnus Mill who is a partner at Alexiou Fisher Philipps in nearby Marylebone can help with issues relating to family law.

I run a support group for those NW8-mums who are undergoing separation or divorce. Magnus does talks for us a few times a year where he goes through the process and answers individual questions. Should you need and like to join the support group, please email me on Everything that is disclosed in the support group and during talks is confidential.

Your local council can help with a number of things as can the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Camden Council

Westminster Council

Citizens Advice Bureau

Attwells Solicitors on St John’s Wood High Street can also help with a number of legal aspects as well as witness documents.

Organising a will, setting up life insurance and various other things, can be quite daunting and it is easy to put it off simply because you have no idea of where to start.

Derek Shiels is not just an NW8-dad, but he is also an independent financial advisor who has helped not just me with some things, but also several other NW8-families. To see what he can help with, please click HERE.

There are many Americans in the area and for those who need a specialist in UK/US matters, Lawrence (Larry) Gilberti, a partner at Reed Smith, regularly comes over to London to meet his UK based clients helping them with wills.

Kevin Rex of Summit Financial helps US citizens with life insurance, estate and financial planning.

There is a local notary who is authorised to do notary work for American citizens. Please email me for his details on

Setting Up a Business

For the latest information, it is best to go straight to HMRC where you can read all about it as well as get going.

My accountant, Gregg Pilcher, was instrumental in helping me not just with accounting as self-employed, but also when I set up my educational consultancy as a limited company. He helped set it all up with HMRC and he also does the accounting for Magus Education.

British Culture

Who doesn’t want to understand the British better? As a student, it took me a while to realise that ‘See you later!’ was not an invitation to see me later, but is an expression.

Victoria Rennoldson of Perfect Cuppa English can help you with all things British and I wish I had known her when I first arrived in the UK in September 1997. She organises many things from talks, workshops, walks, individual sessions on different topics, communication sessions and much more.


Education is one of the most commonly talked about topics. To learn more about the educational system here in the UK, please click HERE to go to the page on schools and nurseries.

Magus Education regularly offers workshops on understanding the education system as well as bespoke private consultations.

magus education logo2.jpg